Most of you have participated, written about or supported the Girls Rock women’s mountain bike group in one way or another. THANK YOU! This group started 2.5 years ago with four women and has now blossomed to an incredible group of HUNDREDS of women in the Santa Cruz and surrounding Bay Area. Here, we’d like to review our 2016 events, preview events to come and thank everyone who has helped make our events so amazing! And we would love to keep the momentum going. So if you are interested in participating again in 2017, please contact us!
Thank you for an amazing year. Thanks to the incredible support of the local bike shops, industry brands and fantastic volunteers, Girls Rock has been able to inspire scores of women to participate and gain skills in mountain biking by providing rides and resources that are supportive, social, fun and confidence-building. We have watched beginners turn in to racers, roadies fall in love with the dirt, friendships form, skills and confidence gained. We are incredibly proud of all that we have accomplished to date with the support of the local community.
- Nearly 450 women on our mailing list from Santa Cruz and the surrounding area
- Over 900 followers on Instagram
- Over 1200 fans on our Facebook page and growing
- Between 60-100+ women in attendance at each monthly event – all levels from beginner to pro and everything in between
2016 Year in Review
- January - We started the year rained out, but Spokesman made up for our loss in August
- February - 92 signed up to celebrate good weather at Santa Cruz Bikes with Julianna and Verve
- Bell Joy Ride Program Launch Party - 135 came out to warm us up for the Joy Ride Launch
- March - Our biggest turnout ever: 114 RSVP'ed for our rainy day Joy Ride Kickoff / Ibis party with CA Enduro Series, Spokesman, CamelBak, Trynt Young
- April - We braved some rainy weather and kept the momentum going with 111 RSVPs for Bicycle Trip / Liv
- May - Full house at Epicenter on Mission with 100 or so joining
- May bonus - Toro Enduro Pre-Ride @ Toro Park led by Megan Gemelos
- June - ABS/Specialized hosted 89 of us; special thanks to Heather at ABS, Matt and Katie Sue from Specialized and Chrissy from Team House Hunter
- July - 67 RSVPed for Trailhead’s inspiring presentation at Demo. Thanks to Lars, Liia and Kellin at Trailhead!
- August - Another full house with 100 or so enjoying Spokesman’s blow-out with Hawaiian theme
- September - 61 joined us at the Bike Church / Clif, Coffee, Bike Santa Cruz County - Goodbye Jessica
- October - rained out - MBoSC, SC Land Trust, IMBA, Abby Hippley
- November - 83 registrants joined us at Epicenter, Trek, Clif - Michelle Lamelin
- November bonus - rained out - Henry Coe
- December - 50 celebrants joined us at MJA for a holiday social
What will 2017 bring?
- Non-profit status with the goal of protecting our volunteers and increasing opportunities to expand our reach
- More opportunities to participate in new biking experiences surrounded by a crew of rad gals
- Opportunity to train to be a certified ride instructor
- Jersey and socks for sale
- And of course, our continued monthly rides!
We have a full line up hosts for 2017 and are looking for more to line up for 2018. If you would like to host a ride, donate raffle prizes or participate in some way, please contact us!
- January 14 - Venus Spirits at Ibis Cycles
- Feb. 11 - Stockwell Cellars, Santa Cruz
- March 11 - Bell Joy Ride, Santa Cruz
- April 15 - MORCA / Bay Bikes at Ft. Ord
- May 7 - Bicycle Trip / LIV, Santa Cruz
- June 10 - Bell Joy Ride / Annadale SP
- July 8 - Juliana / Wilder
- August 19 - Spokesman / Emma
- September 23 - Trail Head Cyclery / Demo Forest
- October 7 - Bike Station / Emma
- November 4 - Specialized / Henry Coe
- December 9 - Holiday Partay!!
We’d like to keep the momentum going, so we are ready to find hosts and supporters for 2018!
If you are interested in supporting a Girls Rock ride, please reply to us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you again for all the support!
Thank you to all our amazing volunteers who keep showing up!
Thank you to all of the riders who keep coming! We love you all for being a part of this growing women's mountain biking community!
We look forward to growing women’s mountain biking through Girls Rock!